I feel like such an insomniac…

I’m continuing to update the blog, and as I work down the list of recent happenings, one of the most recent events in my life was having my wisdom teeth removed.

It has been a procedure that has been looming on the horizon for the past several years. We knew from an x-ray taken several years ago that my wisdom teeth were all mostly sideways and would need to come out. My parents decided that it was time for them to come out back in mid-November, so we set the date and made it official. =S

I went for the orientation, and they told me what to expect with the procedure, told me to stock up on lots of soft foods and make sure I got plenty of rest.

Mid-December came, and with it, my surgery date. The closer it came, the more I worried about it. The thought of the procedure itself wasn’t scaring me as much as being put to sleep for the first time and having my first IV put in. I wasn’t really sure what to expect in that regard, and it was really starting to bother me. Mama was very encouraging to me and was praying peace and comfort as the day approached.

The night before, I emailed some friends of mine and asked for them to keep me in prayer. Even sitting in the waiting room I received a message from a dear friend of mine in Georgia letting me know she was praying for me right then. I can’t even begin to describe what a blessing it is for other Christians to be keeping you in prayer. It felt like the Lord, through the church, had wrapped His arms around me and was keeping me calm. Mama told me later she was praying for me during the surgery while she was waiting on them to finish the procedure.

When the nurse came to get me to go and get everything started, I was starting to tense back up, and I was really cold. They told me beforehand I would need to wear a short-sleeve shirt so that they could put in the IV and put on the blood pressure cuff, so I was really cold going into the surgery room. The entire nursing staff was so sweet and immediately starting asking me different questions and making sure I was settled before they began. It took them a few minutes to find my pulse on the heart rate monitor because I had gotten so cold, which would have been comical if I wasn’t about to have surgery! =] When they popped the IV in and put the blood pressure cuff on, Dr. A came in and asked me if I had enjoyed a nice, big breakfast. I realized he was joking and laughed, because I wasn’t allowed to have anything to eat after midnight the night before. He then told me he had seen me on TV the previous week for the Sound of Music special- “You know, because your hair is braided and everything. I guess I had you confused with Carrie Underwood. Did you do that yourself?”. =] He had quite the sense of humor!

I don’t really remember anything after that, until I woke up midway through the surgery. I opened my eyes and realized there was a blue cloth over the top of my head, and I could hear people talking over me. I moved my arm a little bit, and I guess they must have given me more medicine to sleep, because I remember praying that I wouldn’t hear them pull out the tooth, and drifting back off.

Finally, I remember someone calling my name, asking if I was ok, and helping me up out of the chair and into a wheelchair. This marked my first time to be in a wheelchair for an actual medical reason as well. I wasn’t expecting to not be able to stand up post-surgery for a little while! I’m guessing that was one of the side effects of the meds.

Once we picked up my medicine and went back home, I slept for hours and managed to completely ruin my normal sleeping schedule. For the first couple of days, I was able to sleep most of the day and sleep at night as well, but by the time I made it to Sunday, 3 days after surgery, I was feeling a bit better. I went up to church to count the money (I’m church treasurer) and came immediately back home and went to bed because I was so exhausted. That was a complete mistake!

For the first time in my life, I had a night of insomnia. Sure, there have been times before when I haven’t slept well, but this was the first time I’ve ever stayed up nearly all night.

It was a gift in many ways, as it provided many hours of peaceful conversation with the Lord. I found myself praying over my family, praying over our church, praying over my friends who live near and far, praying for direction over the coming year, &etc. At some point, the song “Fireflies” by Owl City popped into my head, and I realized I could sing the line “I feel like such an insomniac” and it be accurate for me. That was a rather interesting thought at 4:30 in the morning. =]

My favorite thing was the awesome ice pack I was given to keep ice on my face. It was so nice to be able to position the ice packs exactly where I was hurting, and all of that ice kept me from swelling too much.

Exhibit A: A selfie whilst wearing the ice pack

My least favorite thing was not being able to sing, smile, and laugh. I sing so much throughout the day that I think I probably drive my family crazy! Not laughing or smiling was really hard too. We enjoy cracking jokes and trading movie lines, and almost all of those jokes are accompanied with laughing. I would forget and start to smile or laugh and end up in quite a bit of pain. Not the best thing post-surgery! =]

Throughout the rest of the week and for several weeks following post-surgery, folks from our church and some friends from around the country have been emailing and messaging me to make sure I’ve been doing ok and don’t need anything. It’s so amazing how the body of Christ works.

And then there was this precious card from Emma. She brought it to me after I got home that day:

All in all, I am so very blessed. I’ve recovered completely from the surgery with no complications, my parent were there supporting, helping and praying for me as I recovered, I was able to see the body of Christ work once again and bring encouragement in a tough situation, and I now no longer have a wisdom teeth removal procedure looming in the future. I am a blessed gal indeed! Thank you to everyone for your encouraging words and prayers. <3

2 thoughts on “I feel like such an insomniac…

  1. Aw, I’m sorry you had to have your wisdom teeth out. I had mine out a few years ago and it was quite an ordeal too. I’m glad you’re on the mend and feeling better now! :) Talk to you again soon, friend. {And I’ve been trying to catch up on blog posts too. Haha. That’s a good “New Years resolution…”} 😉

    Love and Hugs!

I would love to hear from you! =]